Aligning internal links is the best way to give a boost to your revenue generation. You can solve these purposes with the right strategy to internal link building:
- Take your visitors to related internal links.
- Amplify traffic on the most relevant landing pages.
- Increase the value of high-converting pages.
On the other hand, ignoring the importance of internal links can take you down the drains by:
- Providing the worst user experience.
- Increasing the crawl budget.
- Visualizing a downfall in your website rankings.
Internal links may seem to be a small part of SEO. But, optimizing your internal links will attract more traffic along with decreasing bounce rates, increasing in pages visited per session, and the number of repeat visitors. For that, you can refer to the section mentioned below.
First of all, it is necessary to govern the links you have on each web page. You can audit the status of your links with link monitoring tools like Ahrefs, SEMrush, and others. And figure out your broken links with tools like dead link checker and broken link checker.
After this, it will be easy to reposition and fix any internal link errors. So, these are the categories of faulty internal links:
Broken Internal Links
The Broken internal links are the links that connect a web page with other pages of the same domain. These Broken links affect your website’s crawl ability and indexability. B, why? The links could be no longer in use, could have URL malformation or typographical errors.
When a web crawler lands on a blank page, it affects the flow of link equity. Well, you can have many internal links working fine. But, a single broken link can influence your link balance.
So, it becomes necessary to:
- Check for any typing mistakes in the URLs.
- Assign 404 error code to pages not relevant now and submit for its deletion to Google search console.
- Redirect 301 error code for permanently redirecting. You can use it on related relevant pages. It will help users reach the desired destination. Also, search engines rank your related relevant pages.
Furthermore, you can access SEO services for the proper allocation of internal links within the site.
Any website can’t cover all the topics of the industry. You’re providing high-quality content with strong visuals and infographics, and your visitors will come to your website.
There could be many difficult words on the web page, numerical data/statistics, and research done by others. For these cases, assigning external links becomes mandatory. But, what if the external links are invalid. They won’t come back out of frustration! For this:
- Look out for some redirected external links. And assign those in place of broken external links.
- If the website is not valid anymore, see if they have changed the domain name.
- The possibility is both of the above cases are not valid. In this case, look out for other suitable authority pages.
Too many links on a page are like being greedy for internal linking. It won’t serve any good purpose, but it looks spammy. Using the optimal number of links is better from an SEO point of view. And it can affect your Google rankings. Can you imagine, some web designers use over 1000 links. It’s like killing your SEO. To avoid this:
- See what the valid internal links on your web page are.
- Remove any redundant links.
Make website navigation smooth and strategize link flow with the most desired internal links.
Avoid the trap of redirect loops.
Redirect loops could play havoc with your website optimization. When one redirects lead to another, to next, and so on. Imagine, what will the situation of web crawler? Your essential pages won’t get listed at all. One such chain is enough for blocking the web crawler. Now, how to avoid it?
- Redirect chains can arise due to external redirects. For this, stop any external redirect links.
- Extra outward migration of connections is risky. So, it is better to list them to the max of 3 internal links.
Nofollow attribute tells the search engines crawlers that not to follow these links. They are vital if internal links lead to registration forms, paid links, or admin pages. But when we talk about internal links to crucial web pages, it is of no use.
For closing remarks, SEO is a process that needs profound consideration and regular checkups. Then only it will bear healthy results. In the ever-changing internet world, broken links are not a big deal. But, being aware of broken internal links makes a wise SEO strategist. So, avoid these Link Building mistakes and fix them there and then.